Saturday 25 April 2015

Still dashing through

We managed 11 locks up Heartbreak Hill this morning without getting wet although it kept threatening to rain and had just moored up for lunch in the pound above Red Bull lock when the heavens opened and it chucked it down. After a quick lunch we carried on to Harecastle tunnel where we had to wait 45 minutes for a boat to come through. It had already been in the tunnel when we arrived but was going very slowly and the tunnel keeper kept going to peer into the tunnel entrance to see where it had got to. We eventually got to go in and as there was no-one in front of us we had a good run through, taking 33 minutes which is only 2 minutes slower than our personal record. The skeleton is still there although I almost missed it as for some reason I thought it was at the other end.


I think I've finally conquered my fear of tunnels as I stayed outside with Roger for the whole time and didn't get anxious or panicky at all. I put that down to my having to take the boat through Chirk Tunnel on my own last month. It's surprising what you can do when you have to.

There hasn't been much of interest to photograph today although these bluebells did look quite pretty and are the first I've seen so far this spring.


We're now moored at Etruria Museum ready to fill up with water in the morning before carrying on to Stone. I hope there are still some moorings left when we get there as apparently it's the floating market this weekend which should mean it's busy with boats.

No comments: