Sunday 10 February 2013

Baking Day

We don't eat a lot of bread, usually only one or two loaves a week at the most, but I do bake it all myself. Today I decided to experiment and make a cinnamon & sultana loaf for toasting.
I made the main dough in the usual way. You can see how I do it HERE.

I left the dough to rise for the first time as usual

 
I used half to make a normal cob loaf but rolled the other half out on a floured surface into a rectangle about half an inch thick. I then brushed this with melted butter mixed with a teaspoon of cinnamon.


I scattered sultanas all over it and rolled it up like a swiss roll, brushed some of the cinnamon butter over the top and sprinkled it with a bit of sugar.


I left them to rise again until doubled in size and then baked them side by side at Gas 8 for 25 mins



The cinnamon & sultana bread was very nice but it could have done with being a bit sweeter so next time I think I'll add sprinkle sugar over the dough before I roll it up.


It was also really nice toasted later.



2 comments:

James said...

Using about 25% natural yoghurt 75% water works great for fruity loaves :-) much softer dough. I roll up my dough like you, but cut it into thick slices and pack them into a roasting tray for Chelsea buns

Cheers James

PS yoghutie dough makes brill nann bread, cooked in a frying pan and finished over the embers of the fire

Yvonne said...

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them next time I make bread
X Yvonne