Monday 18 November 2013

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire

Last week I bought some roast chestnuts from a stall in Birmingham.  They were lovely but very expensive at £2 for 10 nuts so when I saw them for sale in the market at £1.50 for a pound I thought I'd have a go at cooking them in the boat. The top of the fire wasn't hot enough to cook them directly and I wasted the first half pound as they just went rock hard.



I dry roasted the rest on the top shelf of the oven while I was cooking the dinner the other night.  You need to cut a cross in one side to stop them exploding and they took around 30 - 40 mins.  I let them go cold and then reheated them later for half an hour on the top of the stove.  They were delicious, very sweet and nutty, and were the perfect TV snack with a glass of red wine.



2 comments:

Justjen said...

They look huge, I can smell them roasting from here. I love your star btw.

Yvonne said...

Thanks Jen, it has a tea-light candle in it and is just enough light to watch TV by.