Friday 13 March 2015

Catching up

I can't believe it's been almost a month since my last blog!

Roger picked up a job wiring out a boat for a couple in Chirk Marina so I've just been killing time while he's been at work and I wouldn't want to bore you with the day to day trivia of my life.

One thing I would like to share with you is my new toy. It's a Shark S2901 Multi-function Steam Mop and it's amazing, just perfect for the boat.


Because tow paths are always muddy and also because we have a dog we have laminate floors and ceramic tiles throughout the boat. These are easy to keep reasonably clean just by sweeping or vacuuming but I hate mopping them as they take ages to dry.  This steam mop leaves them sparkling clean and almost dry in seconds. It comes apart to be used as a hand cleaner and is fantastic for doing the shower. I thought our tiles were clean but you should have seen the gunk the steamer cleared out of the grout!


It did a fantastic job cleaning the oven, another of my less favourite jobs, and then all packs away neatly into a small holdall for storage under the bed.


The only drawback with it is that you need to use de-ionised water rather than tap water but as we were moored outside Tesco at Ellesmere at the time this wasn't really an issue and I only used half of a 2.5 litre container to steam clean the whole boat.  Roger always has de-ionised water in stock for topping up batteries and we've found the cheapest place to get it is Tesco at 85p. We've seen the same thing in chandlers for almost a fiver!!!  

He's now got a few days off so we're going to Llangollen to visit friends who are moored there for the winter and also catch up with our cruising partners from last summer, Bob & Nicola, to plan this years big adventure.

Yesterday I moved the boat from the Poacher's Pocket at Chirk to collect him from Chirk Marina. This meant cruising single handed across Chirk Aqueduct and through Chirk Tunnel.  You may remember from previous posts that I don't like either heights or tunnels, so I was really chuffed with myself that I managed both on my own.





The forecast for today is better this afternoon, and as it's persisting down at the moment we'll set off later to cross the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct. At least it's not windy today. The last time we crossed it we almost lost the flower troughs off the roof.  Do you think I might be brave enough to steer across myself?  I'll let you know tomorrow.

No comments: