Sunday 18 September 2011

Just chilling

We had the fish I told you about yesterday, for dinner last night. It was one I haven’t come across before called Fluke and I think it would probably have previously been discarded if caught along with other more popular species, but since fishermen are now allowed to keep these more uncommon fish they’re finding their way into the fishmongers shops. I gutted and de-headed them and cooked them very simply in the oven for 20 mins at gas 7 with just a splash of white wine and a knob of butter. While they were cooking I did some braised leeks and peas and we had them with a few McCain Crispy French Frites on the side.  The fish is very similar to plaice but has a much more delicate flavour and given that they cost £1 each as against about £5 each for plaice of a similar size I’d definitely buy them again.

before

not much left

At 2.45 this morning we were woken by the rain. Not just any old rain but stair-rods!  It was so loud and heavy on the roof I got up to have a look and it was bouncing 6ins off the canal!  It didn’t last long but boy was it noisy.  Today has been a total contrast and has been bright and sunny and lovely and warm.  We decided to stay put and catch up on a few jobs while it was so nice.  Roger refurbished the two chimneys (tall one for when we're moored and short one for cruising) so we're now ready to light the fire, although I hope we can hold off until October otherwise it’s going to be a long winter. I made bread and banana cake and did the housework. It sounds a bit mundane but after the hustle and bustle of Liverpool it’s been nice to get back to normality and to be just the two of us again.

No comments: