I find marina life extremely boring which is why I haven't inflicted the mundane minutia of my current day-to-day life on you. We are both recovering from nasty colds gifted to us by our lovely grandchildren when we saw them last month, but that's a small price to pay for having had such a wonderful time away with them.
We had a rude awakening last night - literally - as the Carbon Monoxide alarm went off just after we'd got to sleep. The fire was very low and banked down as it was still 12' outside when we went to bed, so we opened the door and windows and the alarm stopped shrieking. Chico wasn't impressed as the alarm is right above his bed and he took himself off to hide under our bed at the other end of the boat. To be on the safe side we left plenty of windows open and went back to bed.
Checking on the internet this morning the main reason for carbon monoxide poisoning is due to a lack of ventilation but as we have 5 mushroom vents as well as plenty of low level ventilation grilles throughout the boat we didn't think that would have been the problem. Just to be sure I took all the vent covers off to have a look and I was gobsmacked! We've had an awful lot of spiders in the boat this autumn due to the mild weather and they seem to have taken up residence behind the grilles.
Our mushroom vent covers have an insect grille behind them to keep mossies and spiders out while still allowing a good flow of air
When I took the covers off almost every vent was full of spiders webs that looked like cotton wool
The grille covers were almost totally blocked which had drastically cut down the ventilation
A quick clean with an old toothbrush soon had them clear again.
Cleaning the vent covers is usually one of my spring cleaning jobs but in future it'll be done before we start using the fire in the autumn.
So that's my tip for the day. If you haven't got a carbon monoxide alarm - GET ONE!
And don't let the spiders bung up your holes...............
Bye for now